Thrush is a fungal infection usually caused by the yeast fungus candida albicans. This yeast lives on the skin and in the mouth, gut and vagina. Most of the time it is kept under control, however sometimes the fungus increases and you can develop symptoms of thrush.
The causes for thrush to develop can be;
- Being pregnant
- Tight clothing or synthetic clothing such as nylon underwear, as this prevents ventilation.
- Taking certain antibiotics
- If you having chemotherapy
- Uncontrolled diabetes, HIV or other illnesses that affect your immune system
- Using products that may cause irritation of the vagina. For example, vaginal deodorant or too much perfumed bubble bath.