HIV is passed from one person to another through:
- Unprotected sex (vaginal or anal).
- Sharing needles and other drug paraphernalia.
- Sharing of sex toys.
- Vertical transmission from mother to unborn baby.
HIV is not an easy virus to catch. Only some bodily fluids have the potential to be infectious:
- Sexual fluids (semen and vaginal).
- Mucus from the vagina and anus.
Acquiring HIV through oral sex is low risk but can happen:
- If you have cuts, sores, abrasions or any unhealed piercings in your mouth.
- Your partner ejaculates in your mouth.
- You have just flossed or brushed your teeth.
- You are giving oral sex to a woman who is on her period.