As soon as baby’s teeth appear, brush them. Use a small soft baby toothbrush and a smear of fluoride toothpaste. Adult toothpaste is recommended, you do not need to use children’s toothpaste. Gently brush the outside, inside and biting surface of all the teeth. Brush morning and night.
- Increase to a pea size amount of toothpaste from the age of three.
- Change the toothbrush every three months.
- Encourage tooth friendly low sugar snacks like fresh fruits, vegetables, and cubes of cheese.
- Ask your doctor to prescribe sugar free medication where possible and use sugar free paracetamol and teething gels.
- Make sure your child has regular check-ups with the dentist to keep their teeth and mouth healthy.
Never share toothbrushes.
Never give your child sugary foods or drinks before bedtime.
Never give your baby a dummy dipped in sugary foods or drinks e.g. honey, jam, juice.