Congratulations on the birth of your new baby!
It is important that you bond with your baby and take an equal role in parenting.
The mother-baby breastfeeding relationship is unique and you can help mother and baby have a positive breastfeeding experience. Breastfeeding has many health benefits for your baby and your partner. Your baby doesn’t need anything other than breastmilk for the first 6 months of life. It is recommended that breastfeeding is continued for up to 2 years alongside complimentary solid foods.
Remember the more breastmilk the baby removes from the breast the more milk mothers make.
You can support your partner and baby by:
- Skin to skin
- Soothing baby
- Bathing baby
- Settling baby
- Wrap / sling wearing
- Sharing information that the Midwife/Health Visitor has given you about breastfeeding to the new Mum
- Tell her what a great job she is doing
- Supporting when baby cluster feeds or has a growth spurt
- Be understanding if baby feeds a lot
- If breastfeeding isn’t going well help her get support
- New Mums and Dads are very important to their new baby – they need time to talk and get to know their baby
- Provide regular food and drink for the new Mum
- Helping around the home